In 1895, the First Presbyterian Church of Punta Gorda was established based on the signatures of 16 individuals, meeting
on Sundays on the second floor over a bakery on Marion Avenue, now the site of the City Hall parking lot. In 1900, construction
for a new church began on property originally purchased from Mrs. Issac Trabue, which is the current site of First Presbyterian
Church. A few years later, Mrs. Trabue donated additional land, used now as our parking lot. In 1937, the lot north of the
church was donated by Col. and Mrs. A. B. Tucker, which enabled the church to add an educational annex to the structure.
Extensive damage to the church occurred in 1960 from the forces of Hurricane Donna and then from a fire during the restoration
period. It was then decided to build a new church, the present A-frame sanctuary.
To celebrate the 100th Anniversary
of the church in 1995 a special Capital campaign was established to further enhance the church. An addition was made creating
a new entrance with a bell tower, steeple and prayer garden. In 1999, a committee was formed to renovate the educational wing
and church office. At the start of the year 2000 a successful campaign was instituted to continue with the renovation plans
in the sanctuary. As membership grows, and the special programs and missions of the church increase, so does the need and
desire to expand the church building capacity.
With the strong demonstration of faith and support from the church
congregation and with the dedicated services of the pastor, growth will continue in the new millennium. On August 13, 2004,
Hurricane Charley destroyed the sanctuary and badly damaged the remainder of the buildings. On Easter Sunday of 2005, the
congregation voted to sell the property on Harvey Street and purchase 4.6 acres of land that the former Italian-American Club
located at 25250 Airport Road. After renovating the existing building, the congregation worshipped for the first time in their
new building on March 19, 2006. On February 28, 2013, FPCPG embarked on a new journey leaving the Presbyterian Church (USA)
and joining the new denomination A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians (ECO). ECO is a more Biblically-based denomination
that was formed in January 2012.